Rectors and churchwarden’s board
In the early 1900s Rev Charles Disbrowe suggested that the names of Rectors, Churchwardens and parish clerks be ‘printed and exhibited in church’. General Richardson improved on this idea by offering to carve their names on an oak board to be displayed in the church, which engaged him for three years. The board was constructed by Mr E.D. Baker churchwarden and joiner.
The board was dedicated at a service in 1911, guest preacher being Rev Canon Rawnsley – formerly the Rector at Halton Holegate, and included descendants of former Rectors Brackenbury, Rawnsley and Sale. The widow of the late Mr W.M. Cussons – who at that time held the record of 36 years as churchwarden – was also able to attend.
Mr Frank Richardson who died in 2018 now holds the honour of being the longest serving churchwarden at 50 years.
The board in full: