Village History

Welcome to our village history

‘Houlegate’, ‘Holdgate’, ‘Houlgate’ and ‘Hollowgute’ … some of the many names for this place

What’s in a name?


Halton Holegate, as it is known, is the definitive name of the village on the Ordnance Survey map.

That has not always been the case. In 1086, the Domesday Book surveyed all villages, and called it ‘Haltun’. In 1349, we have mention of ‘Halton juxta Spilsby’.

Historically we also find other variations: the editor of the Village Magazine preferred ‘Holgute’, the Rector preferred ‘Holegate’ but the Bishop ‘instituting Rectors to the parish’ preferred ‘Halgarth’. Also, there is mention of ‘Houlegate’, ‘Holdgate’, ‘Houlgate’ and ‘Hollowgute’.

It is probable that the name Hollowgate, or Holegate, was added to Halton when the stone was quarried from the cutting to build the Church in the 14th Century, as there appears to be no mention of this version of the name before this time. There is a suggestion by George Streatfeild in his book ‘Lincolnshire and the Danes’ (1884) that Romans quarried here, with also a mention of a road known as ‘Houleygates’ in Normandy, which passes through a similar sandstone cutting.

At all events, ‘Hollowgate’ would appear to mean ‘hollow road’, and thus tells its own tale!



The paten (a plate, usually of silver, holding the bread during the Eucharist) donated to St Andrews Church in 1705 by Mrs Mary Mowbray was presented to ‘Halton Hollowgate’.

A Glebe Terrier of the parish (a Church of England documented survey or inventory of the parish) dated 1699 gives us many old place names. The chief roads were the Holegate, Spilsby-gate, Pearsgate-lane, Southendgate, Northorpe-gate, Stockbridge-lane, Rodley-lane, Succroft’s-lane, also Sudcroft’s and Sootcrofts, Toath-lane, Eastfield-lane and Crose Hill-lane.

Some older inhabitants prefer to use the local dialect “”th’ollerget”.


The following links will take you directly to our village history pages. You can also use the menu in the right hand side bar, or the menu at the top of the page (click ‘history’ and several sub-menus will open up to explore)

Village History Quick Links